Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lost Writings


Lately, I’ve just had my head down and working, day jobs, bills to pay and all that.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I am right near the point of  being one of those sweetly eccentric little ladies who wrote all her life and nobody knew she was writing. Actually, most everybody knows I write, but I never did a whole lot with my poetry and fiction, mostly just tucked all that stuff away in the nooks and crannies of my life, as in house, which at this point looks about like a candidate for a budding hoarder show.

I have been gradually working through it though, if for no other reason than to not leave such a mess for my kids when I am gone. Something about a bucket list after my now infamous accident, after which every day I am still alive, I am absolutely amazed to still be walking this earth. At a certain point though, one does understand, it is time to "get er done!"

Anyway, the other day, while in the process of looking for an old article that I wanted to re-purpose, I came across several of my short stories, and some poems that I had torn the house apart for several times and never could find.

Of course, they were in an old article file from one of my former activist focused writer gigs. Where else would one file their short stories and poetry?

The current plan, which I am in the process of implementing, I am going to release the series of short stories on Amazon Kindle, which is basically a computer format. If you have a Kindle, you can read them on that, if not, you can read them on your computer. The first of the series should be out in a couple weeks, still in the editing and conversion process, but I already got the cover. So it is moving right along.



I did some serious thinking about it all though, as in whether I should use a pen name. I have thought about this many times before, could be that is why some of that stuff was still in that file, never to see the light of day.

After much contemplation, and discussion with my sweet baby sister, she said that I had already shocked people plenty with my activist inclinations, one more time wouldn't matter too much and it would be right in character, as in people fully expect to be shocked by what I do, or something like that.I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Anyway, if you have ever found your mouth hanging wide open from my activist binges, who despite my best intentions, somehow apparently managed to get some kind of name, putting my own name on some of my own writing might well turn out to be the most gutsy thing I have ever done in my life. "Journey" should be the first out, in a couple weeks or thereabout. It is a short story "of sex, love and madness," kind of in a modern Gothic romance kind of genre. It is really not that naughty, but it is probably not something you will want to read to the kids.

Yep, I did that too.


No comments:

Post a Comment